Friday, December 30, 2011

How to cook without groceries? Maybe?

Over the holidays, I realized that my bank account is looking sad.  So I am making it one of my new year's resolutions to make do with whatever I have sitting in my pantry, rather than running out and buying extravagant ingredients to make a single dish every time I need to eat or update this blog.  Fortunately, the roommate and I have built up a fairly impressive collection of spices, kitchen instruments, and dry goods for young 20-somethings, so that should help...


Got home from the new job today (apparently I am a "natural" at steaming milk for lattes...I call it beginner's luck) and was starving because leftover baked goods are not really a filling, tide-you-over-until-lunch type breakfast.  Rooted through the cupboard and found some of this stuff:

Last time I tried to use this as a shortcut dinner, I was really upset because it tasted TERRIBLE.  Whatever was in the "spice sack" was bland and awful and processed, so this time, I opted to throw out the spice sack and make up my own blend.

A local restaurant where I was employed for all of two weeks offers a delicious madras curry chicken dish with Israeli couscous on the side that I have been longing to try to make for myself, so you could call that my inspiration.  Unfortunately, their dish has apples, onions, sultanas, and arugula.  All I had were raisins.  And really, those don't even belong to me but the roommate was nice enough to let me use them.

I was feeling adventurous and recipe-less, so I boiled the couscous with some olive oil, tossed in some minced garlic, then put in the following blend of spices:

(That first one is cayenne.  I should also resolve to become a better photographer.)

I have NO IDEA how to season curry-flavored stuff, so I added a teaspoon of curry, a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, about a 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, some salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.  Then I tossed in some raisins.  No clue if that's the "correct" way to do it, but this is what it got me:


Believe it or not, it tasted OK.  Was it delicious?  Meh.  But it COULD have been awesome with some sliced apples, red onions, arugula or spinach, and maybe a touch more cinnamon.  Mostly I was impressed that the spice blend wasn't totally off...  I crumbled up some candied/spiced pecans (I would have preferred toasted almonds, but again, I was going for free) that I made for Christmas on top, and voila.  A lunch that was tastier than cereal!

I need to figure out a way to add protein to my meals since I don't each much meat at all, beans are hard to sneak into stuff, I hate chickpeas and am not crazy about quinoa, and I can't eat eggs very often, BUT I figure I'm off to a good start for creating meals on the cheap.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of spices in my cupboard that I need to learn how to use.  Coriander?  What does one put that in???

And now I really do need to run to the grocery store....


2 comments:

  1. I need to give you my salsa chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coriander is the same as cilantro, and is great for Thai and Mexican cooking! Yummm. On top of pad thai, burritos, enchiladas...

    ReplyDelete