Sunday, January 15, 2012

Observations

Sometimes I find it easier to blog in list format, especially since I don't blog about my rides every day...I'm not terribly creative, so it would get monotonous.  So here's a summary of the last few days...

1) Connecticut Avenue during rush hour is not a good route to take into Bethesda.  Connecticut Avenue during rush hour is not a good route to take anywhere if you're riding a bike.  The last time I rode all the way up, the road was under construction through Woodley Park and nearly rattled my teeth out...and it had been that way for a few months.  It's finally nice and smooth there, but becomes a total shambles again around Van Ness.  Chevy Chase Circle scares me, so I just took the sidewalk.

2) There is no way to get to Bethesda via a street that is not a major road because the back roads between DC and Montgomery County are blocked by a country club and a golf course.  Sigh.

3) I may be keeping my brakes too tight.  I like them that way, but I have about 1/32" of clearance between the brake pads and the rims.  They rub a lot (especially when it rains and all the buildup somehow gets magnetically attracted to that area), and it makes me feel very slow.  Center-pull brakes are not my favorite.  My boss talked me out of disc brakes due to my complete lack of ability to ever fix them should they come out of alignment, but I'm not sure that was the correct decision.

4) Though I often love the general public, being a lone, young female working in a gigantic, obvious glass shop with thousands of dollars worth of bikes next to a very busy train station can sometimes be unnerving.  I had to put my rude "go away" face on for a few creepers today who just didn't get the message.

5) 4 layers of shirts/jackets + fleece-lined cycling tights + wool crew socks + hiking shoes + a hood + mittens = the ultimate in dorkdom....and somehow still cold.  WTF.

6) Hikers often say that they prefer ascents over descents.  In the cold weather, I'm inclined (ha!) to feel the same way about cycling.

Got the day off (finally) tomorrow, so I'd like to try out a recipe I got for a salted caramel pie...

3 comments:

  1. Still cold? What is the layer closest to your body on top? It should be synthetic so that it pulls moisture away from your body. The hood may be a problem too. I have switch to a balaclava. VERY warm!

    On cold windy days I wear rain pants over my tights.

    I hope these suggestions help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I own a pair of rain pants. They're fairly terrible at keeping out the rain (in spite of the $35 price tag), so I forgot I had them until you brought them up. I bet they'd be great for the wind. Thanks!

    As for the balaclava, I'll look around.

    By the way, I followed your socks advice and only wore one pair--helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another possibility for your head is a merino wool head tube. I just read about it on MG's blog, Chasing Mailboxes. She bought hers from Rivendel.

    ReplyDelete